Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Why can I not pay Class 2 contributions whilst abroad?

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated. I was employed for many years before leaving the UK, but not immediately before leaving ( took time out due to illness and spent a number of months in Africa, before finally moving there in 2003. And since leaving, I have been self-employed for every single year. I don't see the relevence or understand why, after having paid tax and NI in the UK for decades, I am not entitled to a refund of the difference between the full Class 3 payment I made from overseas and the much lower Class 2 which I was told I could pay whilst overseas.
  • Why can I not pay Class 2 contributions whilst abroad?

I completed the CF83 (once I found out about it) and subsequently received a letter confirming that I can pay reduced contributions whilst abroad. I left the UK in April 2003 and have been living in Africa for the past 20years. Prior to completing the CF83, I made payments, based on information on the State Pension web site, using the bank details for people residing overseas. Upon learning that I can make reduced payments, I wrote in asking for a refund of the difference between the standard Class 3 and the Class 2 that I was told I could pay. However, I have just received a letter saying that the previous letter was incorrect and that I "did not meet the conditions for payment of voluntary Class 2 contributions abroad" Can someone please tell me why, having been abroad for 20years, I have been precluded from paying reduced voluntary NI contributions.