Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign Capital Gains.

    Do I use Form SA 108 for Foreign Capital Gains for house sold in France please?
  • Capital Gains sale of French house - HMRC Form required?

    Which paper form do I ask for for Capital Gains on sale of French house - sa106 is all I can find? Also I had to have tax representative for French tax and a substantial amount of money is being with held as Social Tax for France but the tax representative has informed me there is new regulation in French Tax that if I can supply certain proof of use of recognised 'social schemes'' in UK such as NHS and State Pension I will get the money. So far nothing has satisfied as proof. Can you advise how to obtain this proof for me?. I am 79 years old in June and do not work so do not pay any National Insurance. If I cannot supply the form of proof required can I deduct this amount with held as part of French Social Tax - if not how long must I wait to get the money being with held before deducting it for UK Capital Gains? Many thanks.
  • Does 60 day rule for GCT on sale of a second home apply to properties in France?

    I am selling a holiday home in France where CGT will need to be calculated and paid (in France) and possibly some money retained by Notaire for any possible further tax that there that may be owing. CGT will also be owing to HMRC as well. Does the 60 day rule apply to this sale - i.e. do I have to declare and pay to HMRC the CGT within 60 days of the sale? ( As is the case with sale of second home in UK). Or do I just declare it on my next Self Assessment Form? ALSO, I presume the amount of CGT paid in France can be counted as ''costs'' and deducted from the Gains to be taxed in UK - with the other expense items allowed by HMRC? In France my CGT will be calculated, deducted and paid directly from the sale by a legally required Fiscal Representative and the amount paid will depend only on the length of time I have held the property and not on allowed expenses incurred. Thanks.