Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • I'm not sure in which tax year my Child Benefit started

    My daughter was born in February and the child benefit application was successful with start date of 27th February 2023 (that's the date from which payments are calculated). However, I received the first child benefit payment on 6th April 2023 (that's the day it was paid into my bank account for the first time). According to this, have I received Child Benefit in the tax year 2022-23? I'm now completing my self assessment tax return and I'm not sure whether I should indicate that I have received child benefit in the tax year 2022-23 or should do this for the next tax return 2023-24. Thank you.
  • Temporary second job with BR code but I'm a higher rate taxpayer

    I work as an academic at a UK university. Last year I was invited to be external examiner for a PhD thesis at another university and I was paid an examination fee of £150 subject to 20% income tax, so I received £120 in my bank account. My HMRC personal tax account shows this other university as a second employer with a tax code BR, hence the 20% tax deduction. However, I'm a higher rate taxpayer so I should pay 40% income tax on the examination fee that I received, rather than the default 20%. How can I do this in my self assessment? Thank you