Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Expenses for employee's who have caring responsibilities

    One of our employees frequently travels for work, bringing along their child, who requires care, and another family member. They've inquired about claiming travel expenses for both their child and the family member, in addition to their own. According to HMRC Guidance on Work Expenses (480: Chapter 10), the provision for claiming expenses typically extends only to spouses accompanying employees on business trips. However, there's uncertainty regarding whether this provision also applies to other family members. The staff member isn't disabled, but their child requires accompaniment. Could you please clarify whether there's a tax liability in this scenario and if the staff member needs to be officially registered as a carer?