Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Tax residence

    I am a Polish citizen, currently living in the UK under the pre-settled settlement. However, I resided in Spain for most of 2023 and have been back in the UK since late September 2023. This tax year I have worked for both a UK employer and a Spanish employer. Since the beginning of December 2023, I have been working as an independent contractor and therefore I registered as self-employed in the UK. I am studying in the UK but I still have an address in Poland. My earnings do not exceed the tax thresholds in any of the countries mentioned but I am unsure of my tax residency in this situation and do not know how to account for the current tax year.
  • Setting up as a sole trader working for US company

    Hi, I want to start working as an independent contractor for a US-based company. From what I understand, this means I will be self-employed and need to set up as a sole trader. However, since I do not have a UK passport or UK-issued driving licence, I don't seem to be able to register for Self Assessment. I would be grateful for any advice on what my next steps should be in this case. If that information is relevant, my right to work is under EU pre-settlement scheme. Thank you!