Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: IRA tax treatment

I did submit them online so I can indeed view the calculations and I can see that for the last two years I can still amend them online so should I do that and then for the prior years back to 2020 write to HMRC about overpayment relief? Or should I just write to HMRC about all the years even the ones for which I can still amend returns online? Hope that makes sense! Many thanks.

OK many thanks ... is it possible to amend the returns online and view a new calculation and if not how do I calculate how much I am due back based on what my tax would have been had I not incorrectly included the foreign section with interest and dividends from my IRA and Roth IRA on those returns? I have copies of my returns from each tax year, but the calculations don't show the specific amounts of tax arising from the foreign interest and dividends just a total of tax due or overpaid.

I am a US citizen resident in the UK since 2005. My savings portfolio in the US includes an IRA and a Roth IRA. As both earn interest and dividends, I have been reporting these on my self assessment UK tax return as foreign interest and dividends and paying the associated tax. However, now that I'm reading this forum I'm wondering if I need to be doing this and if not can I file amended UK tax returns and claim back any overpayments?