Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Reminder emails after submitting tax return

Hi, I completed my online self-assessment tax return for the tax year ending 5 April 2023 last year, and it was submitted and received on 14 May 2023. However, in December and again in January I received emails from HMRC saying "Our records show that you’ll need to send us your Self Assessment tax return and pay any tax you owe by 31‌‌‌ ‌‌January 2024. If you don’t complete a return and pay by 31‌‌‌ ‌‌January 2024, you may face a penalty." Can I assume this is a generic email and that I can ignore it, or should I contact HMRC? Thanks
  • Incorrectly placed on Simple Assessment

Hi, I have Lasting Power of Attorney for my mother's financial affairs and submitted her Self Assessment in May this year. I have just received a letter from HMRC placing her on Simple Assessment. However, the Simple Assessment is incorrect because it misses out her foreign income - she receives a foreign pension. The same thing happened last year, I rang HMRC who placed her back on Self Assessment. But the Self Assessment helpdesk is currently closed until September - what should I do?