Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Claiming Foreign Tax Credit Relief Online

I am trying to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief via my online tax return but without success. I have done so straightforwardly for years via my paper tax return. I receive dividends on just one foreign share. When I enter these dividends (gross of tax withheld abroad) on the appropriate page of the online return and say “Yes” to “Do you wish to claim foreign tax credit relief”, I am asked for “Rate of Tax Credit Relief”. I select the correct figure for my dividends (15% - they’re Canadian) from the drop-down list and finally, at the end of the page, press “Save and Continue”. At which, I am told to “check and amend” the 15%; thereafter I merely go round in circles. Last year I eventually had to give up and revert to a paper tax return – there was no Self Assessment Helpline. This year I have spoken to the Self Assessment Helpline and an adviser there has reproduced my problem for a hypothetical Canadian dividend on his system but not been able to tell me what to do about it. How can I claim this Foreign Tax Credit Relief via my online tax return?