Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Declaring and paying CGT on part of parents property

Hello. My parents were tenants-in-common. When my Dad passed in 2018, my Sister and I each inherited 25% of the house, with my Mum having the other 50% and staying in the house. The house was valued at £290k for my Dad’s probate. Effectively, each 1/4 my Sister and I had, was worth 290000/4 = £72500. My Mum died in December, and the remaining 50% of the house was passed equally to me and my Sister. We have just sold the house for £315k, receiving approx £311k after fees. I believe I need to report a capital gain on my quarter rising from £72500 to £78750 (£315k/4, ignoring the fees), so £6250. (I then deduct half the total fees from this figure, so liability down to about £4250). First question - when reporting this, do I refer to the value of the property as being the quarter that I have owned (Ie £72500, rising to £78750). I assume I would, otherwise the numbers don’t add up, and it calculates my CGT as four times higher. Second question - my Sister has lived in Australia since 1980. Is she liable for CGT also, and how would she 1) report this and 2) pay. (probably me doing it for her). Thanks.
  • Declaring and paying CGT on part of parents property

Hello. My parents were tenants-in-common. When my Dad passed in 2018, my Sister and I each inherited 25% of the house, with my Mum having the other 50% and staying in the house. The house was valued at £290k for my Dad’s probate. Effectively, each 1/4 my Sister and I had, was worth 290000/4 = £72500. My Mum died in December, and the remaining 50% of the house was passed equally to me and my Sister. We have just sold the house for £315k, receiving approx £311k after fees. I believe I need to report a capital gain on my quarter rising from £72500 to £78750 (£315k/4, ignoring the fees), so £6250. (I then deduct half the total fees from this figure, so liability down to about £4250). First question - when reporting this, do I refer to the value of the property as being the quarter that I have owned (Ie £72500, rising to £78750). I assume I would, otherwise the numbers don’t add up, and it calculates my CGT as four times higher. Second question - my Sister has lived in Australia since 1980. Is she liable for CGT also, and how would she 1) report this and 2) pay. (probably me doing it for her). Thanks.