Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Tax on re-invested dividends (or interest) in accumulation units (unit trusts)

I have an Annual Tax Summary from my AJ Bell investment account, which includes unit trusts categorised as "Overseas Unit Trust & OEIC". Within the detailed schedules, these groups of units trusts list (in separate schedules) dividends and interest for the year, but on each schedule page it also says " On accumulation units income is reinvested - you have not received a cash payment" (and indeed I have not received any cash), On the summary "Consolidated Tax Certificate" page (which it says is approved by HMRC), the first column "Gross" has no figure listed against either of groups of unit trusts , whereas in the "Accumulation Value/Dividend/Interest" column, values are listed. My question is: do I declare these reinvested dividend and interest amounts on my tax return (and in which section?), or do I pay (CG) tax on them only when I realise the value by selling or transferring in the future. The advice from Admin 25 on another thread within this forum about how to handle reinvested dividends that have not been realised as cash (which says no tax is due - presumably they are taxed as capital gain) seems to contradict other HMRC documents such as IFM03120. I obviously don't want to pay tax twice on this gain. I also note that on the AJ Bell consolidated tax certificate, the "UK Authorised Unit Trusts and OEIC Dividends" does show a figure in the Gross column as well as the "Accumulation Value/Dividend/Interest" column, even though its schedule page also says "On accumulation units income is reinvested - you have not received a cash payment". Are these treated differently from the Overseas ones?