Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: New Tax code

So I should get a new tax code? When will this happen?
  • New Tax code

My tax code has changed to recover unpaid tax from high income child benefit from a previous year & to cover high income child benefit for the current tax year. The change to the HICB threshold means that I will only have to repay a small percentage of this year's HIBC, so will my tax code be adjusted accordingly or will I have to reclaim any overpayment later?
  • Late payment interest

If I successfully appeal a late payment penalty, will the late payment interest also be refunded (i.e. the interest charged for late payment of the self assessment balancing payment, not the interest on the penalty)?
  • RE: High Income Benefit Charge PAYE

Sorry, I meant pay for 23/24 through PAYE this year, then 22/23 through PAYE in 24/25 (as stated on my statement)?
  • RE: High Income Benefit Charge PAYE

So I'm paying 23/24 through PAYE, then 22/23 through self assessment by Jan 24?
  • High Income Benefit Charge PAYE

I only recently realised that I had to complete a self-assessment (I wasn't aware of the high income benefit charge for Child Benefit and I have always paid tax through PAYE). I've now submitted the overdue self assessments and paid the overdue tax bill in 2 payments at the beginning of this month. As I have only recently made payment, the payments didn't appear on my April tax statement. However, my tax code has now changed to take child benefit payments into account. My statement says that the balancing payment for 2022/23 will be included in my PAYE code for 2024/25, so what are the deductions for this year's PAYE for?