Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Invalid VAT number on Checker

Thank you HMRC admin 2, there are no support structures or processes in place via the general enquiries site or telephone helpline. We have tried and explore all options thoroughly. Please provide a detailed (number/listed) step guide on how we can rectify or address this ongoing longstanding issue utilising the available and suggested 'VAT: general enquiries' OR telephone support line. Also: please can you confirm that the 'Check a UK VAT number' team/department is a separate enterprise to the Gov Gateway online service team? If so can you provide appropriate contact options to this team in a bid to highlight the issue of syncing VAT account details with the VAT checker details database (currently it is obvious these systems are not synced and that a manual update to the VAT checker database is required (but easy to identify how to address)). Thank you for your time.
  • RE: Invalid VAT number on Checker

I am having the same issue 7 months on as a newly registered VAT business the details summarised by the UK VAT Checker online service do not match the official details on my VAT certificate. This discrepancy cannot be rectified with the available online options and there seems to be no one available to support on this major issue. The discrepancy has resulted in the loss of trade on 3rd party sales platforms until such a time that we can have this rectified.
  • VAT Certificate full name (inc middle names)

I am a VAT-registered sole trader. My VAT certificate summarises my full name without my middle name (despite my middle name appearing on all other account confirmations of registered business names). This is creating a discrepancy from my registered business name and my VAT certificate. I have sent many requests and filled in a change of name request form summarising the error but there is no resolution as yet. Is this is a common oversight? Where can this be amended?