Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Flexible ISAs - Using different providers in the same tax year

What is the point in having a HMRC question forum where HMRC cannot answer a straight forward question. I would like this in writing so it is clear and correct, rather than having to wait 30 minutes to speak to someone and they cannot provide a simple answer either. Can you therefore please answer my question, which is below again for ease. I do not want to be provided links, just need an answer to the question: I understand how the £20,000 allowance works, but my question relates to using different providers / banks. For example if I put £20,000 in a Flexible ISA with Bank A this tax year, can I then transfer out all of this £20,000 and put this with Bank B in their Flexible ISA in the same tax year? My understanding is that because it is a Flexible ISA this should not be an issue? However I have also read that if you go with a different provider / bank, even if it is Flexible ISA, you need to transfer this via an ISA transfer form instead. HMRC's clarification on this would be helpful. Thank you.

Again, you have not answered my question. Rather than providing links, can you please answer my question below with a written response on this forum: I understand how the £20,000 allowance works, but my question relates to using different providers / banks. For example if I put £20,000 in a Flexible ISA with Bank A this tax year, can I then transfer out all of this £20,000 and put this with Bank B in their Flexible ISA in the same tax year? My understanding is that because it is a Flexible ISA this should not be an issue? However I have also read that if you go with a different provider / bank, even if it is Flexible ISA, you need to transfer this via an ISA transfer form instead. HMRC's clarification on this would be helpful. Thank you.

You have not answered my question. I understand how the £20,000 allowance works, but my question relates to using different providers / banks. For example if I put £20,000 in a Flexible ISA with Bank A this tax year, can I then transfer out all of this £20,000 and put this with Bank B in their Flexible ISA in the same tax year? My understanding is that because it is a Flexible ISA this should not be an issue? However I have also read that if you go with a different provider / bank, even if it is Flexible ISA, you need to transfer this via an ISA transfer form instead. HMRC's clarification on this would be helpful. Thank you.
  • Flexible ISAs - Using different providers in the same tax year

Can you take money out of a flexible ISA (either a cash isa or a stocks & shares isa) with one provider and put that money into a different provider's cash isa / stocks and shares isa? I know this needs to be done in the same tax year, but not 100% sure on the provider part. I have read that you can only put the money back into the same account that you took the money out from, but I have also read that you can move the money to a different provider.... Given the new rule introduced for the 24/25 tax year that you can deposit into multiple ISAs of the same type, it is not clear what is correct!