Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Issue with MCI error for PAYE and Self Assessment

Hi all, I have a serious issue with my HMRC account. I am a BNO Passport and visa holder and living in Scotland. In June 2024, I found out that I could not view my PAYE information in the HMRC app, I contacted HMRC and they said it was due in 2022 when I first got a job in the UK I used the temp NI number for the first month, it caused the multiple NI number issue and the data and system need to be fixed. They initially advised that the problem would be fixed in Sep 2024. Later in July I registered the self-assessment account and received a letter for 2022/2023 that I need to report the tax return within 3 months, which the deadline should be 25 Oct 2024. However, I can not access the online tax account, since my account is merging. Then I tried to contact the HMRC adviser through online chat, they mentioned they would fix it by 2 Sep 2024 and advised me to wait. Today I tried to contact them again through online chat, and this time they said it will be delayed to 5 Oct 2024 which is very close to the deadline of the submission, I complained it and requested for postponement of the deadline, but they said they can not because I can submit the paper form. However I have a concern about submitting the paper form, since I will be away from the UK on next Friday and will return at end of Oct, if I submit the paper form now, I guess they will send me back the physical letter about how much tax I need to pay additional, since I will be away from UK, how can I access that information? I tried to call their hotline, first time I waited 30 mins and they cut the line. 2nd time I tried to call them, there was an adviser listen to what I explained the situation to him, he hold my line and asked me to wait, I wait 30 more mins again and hear a system voice saying "Thanks for contacting HMRC, bye bye" How come? it is not fair for people like me follow the law and rule to report self assessment and finally cause that frustration and issues.