Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: UK Gilt Bond ETF - Foreign Interest Income?

Hi, I can't see any answer to JustCheck's question a). This is a burning question for me as I have received a lot more than £2000 in distributions from Irish-domiciled ETFs classified as bond funds and need to enter them in the correct place on SA106. I don't want to get this wrong as the tax rates of interest income and dividend income are very different. Basically: are the distributions of a reporting Irish-domiciled fund invested 100% in UK Government Gilts/Bonds to be entered as FOREIGN SAVINGS INTEREST, or as normal FOREIGN DIVIDENDS? Thank you!
  • RE: UK Gilt Bond ETF - Foreign Interest Income?

Hi, I can't see any answer to JustCheck's question a). This is a burning question for me as I have received a lot more than £2000 in distributions from Irish-domiciled ETFs classified as bond funds and need to enter them in the correct place on SA106. I don't want to get this wrong as the tax rates of interest income and dividend income are very different. Basically: are the distributions of a reporting Irish-domiciled fund invested 100% in UK Government Gilts/Bonds to be entered as FOREIGN SAVINGS INTEREST, or as normal FOREIGN DIVIDENDS? Thank you!
  • RE: Tax on Savings interest

Hi, I am wondering what exactly is meant by Savings Interest, especially foreign savings interest. Is it only interest paid by a bank on a savings account, or would it include distributions from an Irish ETF with underlying gilts or bonds? I am not sure whether declare these distributions as foreign interest or as foreign dividends. Thank you.
  • RE: Moving a portfolio of shares to the UK

Transfer of JOINT portfolio from Singapore broker to the UK, where husband and wife have own separate portfolios with two different UK brokers. We are selling share units and rebuying in the UK as too nervous to do in-specie transfers. 1) For this purpose, we had to sell 600 units of an ETF at a big loss of £4000 pounds. To limit the loss, we each rebought half of the units sold, into our separate broker accounts. The problem is, we have now realised we did this within 30 days of the joint sale! 2) Does this trigger a Bed and Breakfast event, although the selling and rebuying brokers are different for this ETF? 3) If it is considered as a Bed and Breakfast situation, do we match the joint ETF sale proceeds with each of our UK brokers rebuying costs, rather than matching the ETF sale proceeds to our original Singapore base costs (section104 holding)? This would reduce the loss this year quite significantly for tax purpose. 4) Would we then match subsequent sales of the ETF through our UK brokers with the original Singapore base-cost to calculate future losses (or gains?) 5) Can we generally deduct losses from gains, from capital gain purpose, provided we try and respect rules like Bed and Breakfast to the best of our understanding? Thanks a lot in advance.