Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: self assessment tax return

Dear HMRC Admin, Thank you for your reply. If there are very small amount of interests (less than around $1 Hong Kong dollar, that is equivalent to UK pounds less than around 10p) in our bank accounts in Hong Kong during the period between 6th April 2021 to 27th June 2021 (before we came to the UK), so is it tax return not required too? Can I say the tax return is required when there are other income in the UK after arrival in the UK? Please advise if there are incorrect. Thank you very much.
  • self assessment tax return

Dear HMRC, I am confused whether we need to submit the self assessment in the tax year 2021-2022. In my situation, my husband and I arrived to the UK on 28th June 2021. We are UK residents in the tax year 2021-2022. I worked in Hong Kong until the end of May 2021 with income for the period from 6 April 2021 to May 2021 which is less than £2000. After arrival, I found a job in the UK and work only few days with income in September 2021. So, should I still need to submit the self assessment tax return in the tax year 2021-2022? In my husband's situation, he worked in Hong Kong until early of June 2021 with income for the period from 6 April 2021 to June 2021 which is more than £2000. Before arrival, both of us have done the tax clearance in Hong Kong. After arrival, he found a job and work from 20 August 2021 with using the PAYE system. So, should he still need to submit the self assessment tax return in the tax year 2021-2022? If yes, should he apply the split-year treatment in the tax year 2021-2022? Besides, I would like to ask about the saving transferred from Hong Kong bank account to UK bank account. If there is no interest in our UK bank accounts, we do not need to report it to HMRC. Is it correct? Please give us advice for our cases. Thank you so much. Kind regards, 

Name Removed admin .
  • RE: Self assessment and Foreign Income

Hi Kwan, Yes, do you have the same situation? I have already registered as self employed (a sole trader), and received the UTR. I saw your question. Do you have the Government Gateway? If not, you can create sign in details.Then you can sign in and complete your self assessment tax return.
  • RE: Self assessment and Foreign Income

Dear HMRC, Thank you for your reply. Since I fill in the online form, I have two questions to make sure that I fill in correctly in my situation. 1. In the section of 'Tailor your return Page 1/3', do I choose ' no' in the question 'If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section? 2. In the section of 'Fill in your return', The question "Please select the circumstances that apply to your self-employment. If none of them apply, please select the box 'None of these apply'.", should I choose 'My business is carried on abroad' or ' None of these apply'? Thank you so much. Kind regards, Mandy
  • Self assessment and Foreign Income

Dear HMRC, I am a private online tutor since I have online classes for Hong Kong students. Parents transfer the fee in HK dollars into my HK bank account. Then I exchange into pounds through my HK bank account and transfer them into my UK bank account. I would like to know this case is belong to foreign income or not. Should I need to fill in Foreign Income form or just fill in Self Employment only? Thank you so much. Kind regards, Mandy