Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Thinking about 2nd Job

Hi. I am thinking about taking up a second job, but am not sure whether it should be as contract, sole trader or limited company. I have already purchased various IT equipment and software license (for software development) and am now wondering whether this might get too complicated just as contract. I will obviously need to fill out a tax return (if I do go ahead) and so it doesn’t seem to matter whether I do that as an individual or a company. The cost of all the equipment and software is around £2000 and has been purchased just for this role. If I don’t go ahead right now, I am going to use the equipment to improve my skills and then may look at the 2nd job again in the future. So my question is, is it worth me setting up as a limited company or sole trader, so the equipment can be claimed (out of profit - if there is any of course) for the company use - or can I claim anything as a contract person (doing a 2nd job). I have 2 weeks to make up my mind and so I just wanted to understand (from a basic level) what my options look like. I doubt I will ever get to the point where I am VAT registered, but who knows. If you are able to advise, that would be great. Other than the above, my tax is about as simple as it gets.