Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Higher Tax Rate Relief for SIPP Contribution

    I am an employed higher rate taxpayer and I made a SIPP contribution back in March. I got the standard 20% tax relief at source automatically, but I've been trying to figure out how to claim an extra 20%. According to the government guidelines on pension tax relief ( ), it seems like I should be able to get it via Self Assessment tax return form. But here's where it gets confusing: On one hand, it says I need to do a Self Assessment tax return form. On the other hand, another part of the website ( suggests I do not need to do one. Despite the confusion, I decided to submit a tax return online a couple of weeks ago. However, I haven't received any acknowledgment or indication that the application was successful. Additionally, there's nothing showing up on my Government Gateway account. So, here are my questions: How can I go about claiming that extra 20% tax relief for my SIPP contribution? If I do need to use Self Assessment tax return form, how can I check to see if it's been processed? Any help or guidance you could give me on this would be super appreciated!