Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Duplication of tax bill across Simple Assessment and Self Assessment

I am unable to get through on webchat as just a computer. Any advice on contacting HMRC?
  • RE: Duplication of tax bill across Simple Assessment and Self Assessment

Thank you. I have written three letters with no replies or acknowledgements, so no longer have faith that post is a useful option. Today sadly, I got a brand new letter from HMRC called a Simple Assessment Tax Calculation with new figures of £0.00 recorded against my 2022_2023 income tax. I have no idea why this has been sent or what it means or how HMRC has got it so wrong. I did earn some money, which is why I needed to pay some tax, which I paid. I can now find no record of my payments anywhere on my HMRC portal. I have a horrible feeling HMRC have closed my Simple Assessment BY MISTAKE instead of the self-assessment. I just need to speak to someone with the understanding to sort it all out. I will try webchat in the hope I can get through. HMRC Admin 5 - can you advise whether I should call the Self ASsessment line on 0300 200 3310 or the Simple Assessment line on 0300 322 7835 and if either, which typically has realistic times to get through?
  • RE: Self Assessment tax penalty but paid tax based on simple assessment tax calculation

I have this exact same problem for the year 2022_2023, although my duplication was triggered by the fact HMRC originally thought I needed to complete a Self Assessment, but we then agreed I no longer needed to as had stopped being self-employed etc. I have written to HMRC twice and tried phoning to sort it out, but with no luck getting through again, including today. I call of 1hr 6 mins to get to the wrong dept and two cut-off calls. Still on hold now... Please, admin, any other contact method suggestions?
  • Duplication of tax bill across Simple Assessment and Self Assessment

Probably one for HMRC Admin? I moved from self-employed to PAYE during 22_23, contacted HMRC and they agreed they'd withdraw the notice to file a Self Assessment for 22_23. That triggered a new Simple Assessment with associated tax bill as I had underpaid that year. I needed to pay this bill direct - couldn't pay it via PAYE because we did this switch after the Dec '23 deadline. That was fine. Deadline for new Simple Assessment tax bill was 1 May 2024. All good. BUT... now I've started getting a separate, identical tax bills under Self Assessment, retrospectively dated to be paid by January 2024, with accruing interest. I quickly paid off the Simple Assessment one, but am still getting increasing bills. Have written twice to HMRC - no confirmation of receipt or reply. Tried calling but not been able to get through... How do I sort this out - this bill is getting bigger by the minute? And watchout anyone else switching from SELF ASSESSMENT to PAYE - be very sure of your tax calculations so you don't get billed twice too.