Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Meal subsistence - working from home employees

Following the COVID lockdown we closed our permanent office and all employees became Home Workers. As part of this change to working conditions we changed our travel and subsistence policy to allow for travel and meals to be reimbursed if away from normal place of work (home). The rates we allow for meals is higher than I can find on the HMRC rate but this is because the majority of our meetings away from home are in London so we allow £15 for breakfast and £25 for lunch. I have 2 questions: 1. are we ok to reimburse the actual cost of meals for the higher amounts without incurring a tax liability for either us (employer) or the employee. 2. are there specific times for the reimbursement, e.g. for breakfast is there a time an employee must have left home before we can pay it. I think the HMRC guideline is before 6am but is this an actual rule, at the moment we allow breakfast if leaving home before 7am. Thanks
  • VAT to EU customer for online course in UK

We are running an online training course and a customer is based in Netherlands. I can't determine whether this is classed as exporting the goods as the customer will remain in the Netherlands. Do I need to charge the VAT ? Thanks