Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Change of accounting date for LLP - basis period abolition

Apologies if this has already been queried elsewhere or if it should be in a different forum. I have an LLP client that wishes to extend their accounting date to 31 March 2024 to bring it in line with the tax year end and the abolition of the basis period rules. This is financially more viable for them owing to the additional costs that would arise should they continue with their current 31 December year end. However, they last extended their accounting period end-date to 31 December 2021 when they incorporated into an LLP, so less than 5 years ago. It is my understanding from reading various guidance available that although the law has not changed in respect of extending the accounting period end date within 5 years, i.e. it must be for a commercial reason, it would be accepted that the abolition of the basis period is a commercial reason. How exactly should this be reflect on form LLAAA01? Or, does separate authorisation from companies house still need to be sought in order for the change of accounting date to be accepted?