Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Net adjusted income below £100k

Hi there, Question, as this is really confusing me. I currently earn £120k gross, with an expected bonus of £25k before the end of the current tax year - this will take my gross earnings to £145k. On the £120k the Co pay 10% into an employee pension scheme and I pay an additional 10%, so that is £24k a year going into my pension scheme. 1. In terms of getting to the net adjusted income figure, my understanding is that the the 10% the company pay in is ignored as that is in addition to my gross salary. 2. The 10% I contribute above and beyond what the company contributes - does that help reduce the £145k, so a reduction of £12k - taking my net adjusted to £133k? 3. If my understanding above is correct, then to get the £133k down to £100k I would need to contribute a further gross contribution of £33k, so £26,400 (+20% gross up from HMRC). As a higher rate tax payer I would be able to claim the £6,600 back from HMRC - giving me a net cost of ~£20k. 4. My total pension contributions incl. employer contributions would then be £12k + £12k + £33k and would still fall within the £60k limit? Alternatively, could I up the 10% I pay in each month to say £2k and and then only have to contribute a gross £20k? Thanks in advance Steve

[Display name amended - Admin]