Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Inquiry Regarding Capital Gains Tax and Private Residence Relief of Selling Overseas Property

    Dear HMRC, I am reaching out to seek your professional advice on a matter concerning capital gains tax and private residence relief. I would like to present a scenario for which I require your expertise: My mother, a BNO visa holder, arrived in the UK and established residency in February 2023. She is currently in the process of selling a property located in Hong Kong. This property served exclusively as her residence during her time in Hong Kong, spanning from 1989 until February 2023. My inquiry pertains to whether she is liable to pay capital gains tax on the sale of this property, or if she qualifies for full or partial Private Residence Relief. Additionally, I would appreciate guidance on the documentation required by HMRC in the event she is eligible for such relief. Thank you kindly for your assistance and expertise in this matter.