Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to Gift Crypto Assets to Spouse

Thank you, that is at least some help (I know what I cannot do, even if I am still not entirely sure what I should). I will get her to open an account in her name, I think, to make evidencing the transfer clear.
  • How to Gift Crypto Assets to Spouse

I read a lot about how to take advantage of both allowances and potential 10% tax rates by gifting crypto between spouses but I am unsure how that works.Lots of people talk about "gifting" but none explain what that entails when it applies to spouses. For context, we purchased crypto some time ago using joint funds and regard what we have, as we do everything else we have in our lives, as jointly held. We have never needed to declare any CGT before now. However, the crypto exchange account we use is registered in my name. So I have two questions: 1) Does the fact the exchange is in my name mean anything that has passed through it (into cold wallets) will be classed as mine alone and if not then what would be the baseline situation? 2) If that was the case, how would I go about "gifting" some of it to my wife given the status quo? Would we need to open a second exchange account (and potentially a new set of cold wallets), in her name, and transfer some assets across to that for disposal to show they were regarded as attributable to her? Really would appreciate some advice here as this is the one aspect of tax and crypto I am struggling to understand.