Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Carers allowance tax implications

Hi, my wife is retired but has no pension or regular income other than savings interest of around £12,000 per year. This meant that her total tax free allowance was £17,570. However she recently starting claiming carers allowance to help care for an elderly relative, which equates to around £4264 per year. Is the carers allowance regarded as income so that her total tax free allowance reduces to £12,570 or will it remain at £17,570? I cannot locate confirmation on this on the ‘Tax on savings interest’ information on the Gov.uk website so would appreciate your clarification. Thank you
  • RE: Maximum Savings Interest before I need to pay tax

Hi, my wife recently retired and has no pension or regular income. She is living off my private pension and her only income is interest on her savings. As she has no other income, I understand that she can receive up to £17,570 in savings interest without paying tax. Is this correct? Also would she have to submit a self assessment tax return if her savings interest is below £17,570. This is not clarified on the ‘Tax on savings interest’ information on the Gov.uk website. Thank you