Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2024 09:45:58 GMT by Tammy Cooney
I have issued a client a significant invoice from my Limited Company. The client is now insisting that it is paid into a personal account, even though it wasn't discussed or agreed as such. They are refusing to pay it to the Ltd Company. What are the implications of this scenario? Why might they be asking me to do this? I want to get all my ducks in a row, before I go back to them - but for the life of me, I cannot see what they would gain from this......... Thanks
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 15:38:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response

Hi 

We can't see that there would be any gain for your client paying what is owed into your personal account. 
If anyone had anything to gain it would be you as the director of the company. 
It depends on your bank, some banks terms won't allow the use of personal accounts to trade or do business. 
Realistically, the money should be paid direct into your Limited company business account. 
If your bank accepts the payment into your personal account, you could transfer the monies direct into your business account, providing you keep all records and account for everything correctly, such as the date of when the transactions/transfers took place. 
You may wish to check with your bank first. 
Please refer to guidance at: Invoicing and taking payment from customers: Payment - obligations

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.