Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 17:54:57 GMT by
I am planning to move to UK to join my partner, but would like to keep working for my German company. I am eligible for a high skilled individual visa, so I can reside in UK. I am wondering whether my company has any obligations (i.e. do they need to register an office in UK or similar), in order to keep me as a remote working employee once I move?
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 14:30:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Your German employer does not need to do anything as far as HMRC is concerned. You will become resident in the UK for tax purposes, this means that the income from your remote work for the German company will be taxable in the UK. The tax treaty between the UK and Germany, allows HMRC to tax your German employment income, as you carry that work out, while physically, in the UK. You will need to declare your German employment income in a Self Assessment tax return each year.

You will need to contact the German tax authorities to let them know you will be permanently leaving Germany and find out how you ensure that your employment income is no longer taxed in Germany.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.