Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:42:42 GMT by Neil Edwards
I was a sole trader for two years up to 2007, after which I moved into a PAYE role until last week. I am looking to return to sole trader status in a few months time, how do I initiate this, which forms should I use etc. I am not intending to do any sole trader work until the autumn.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:56:32 GMT by
To return to sole trader status, there are a few steps you'll need to take. While I can provide general guidance, it's important to consult with a qualified accountant or tax professional in your jurisdiction to ensure you meet all the legal requirements. Here are the general steps you can follow: Register as self-employed: You'll need to register as self-employed with the relevant tax authorities in your country. In the United Kingdom, for example, you'll need to register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Check the specific requirements and procedures in your country. Choose a business name (if applicable): If you plan to operate your sole trader business under a name other than your own, you may need to register a business name with the appropriate authority. Again, this requirement varies depending on your jurisdiction. [admin removed link]
Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:54:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You should do this using form CWF1.
However you can't register until you have already started or it is less than 7 days until you start:
Register for Self Assessment
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 12:57:49 GMT by christian
Hi, following the question asked. I'm in the same situation. I sent the communication about stopping trading to HMRC via form. I received no confirmation and still have the UTR, but I'd like to trade again. How can I do it? What is the process?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 11:53:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi christian,
If you would like to trade again, you would need to register for Self Assessment.
As you received no confirmation of the closure of your record, though, it may still be open - contact us by webchat or phone via
Self Assessment: general enquiries and we can confirm if reregistering is necessary.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.