Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 16:53:22 GMT by GoldApple97
My limited company is currently dormant. Will buying a company laptop by restarting a business bank account with the intention to restart the business count as active trading (and as such will need to be included in corporation self assessment accounts?), or only when I make income? Or does it count as pre-trading expenditure and should be paid with my personal bank account instead?
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 10:45:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi GoldApple97,
The expenses are treated as pre-trading expenditure.
Qualifying pre-trading expenditure is treated as incurred on the day on which the trade is first carried on.
It therefore enters into the calculations of the profit or loss for the first year of assessment in which the trade starts and not into periods where there wasn't any activity i.e. that is when you were dormant.
You normally have up to 7 years to claim pre trading expenses before the business begins.   
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 10:56:14 GMT by GoldApple97
Hi ok in that case my company is still dormant but I have just opened a business bank account. Should I use my personal bank account or business account to buy the laptop prior to starting to trade?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 09:17:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi GoldApple97,
Thank you for your follow up query. Assuming this qualifies as a deduction as a business expense, this would need to be purchased using your business bank account.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.