Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:57:28 GMT by
Hello! I want to form a Limited company in UK. I am not a UK resident, and never lived or planned to go to UK. I would be the only director, shareholder, and director in Company. Nature of business would be to run an online store in UK and sell print on demand products in UK and globally. Products will be shipped by a third-party company on behalf of my company. Before opening, I was wondering about two things. Firstly, what are the obligations a Limited company have towards the UK goverment and other public institutions so it could run without any legal problems? Can you list all the necessary requirements? Secondly, If the UK have signed Double Tax Agreement with my country (Republic of Serbia), how would my tax be payed? If I understand correctly, money traded in the UK would fall under UK taxation, and money traded globally would fall under taxation of residency country? Thank you for your answers, Sava
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:40:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Companies are incorporated in the UK through Companies House (which is a separate office to HMRC) and you should contact them in the first instance regarding forming a company while not resident in the UK.
Information when setting up a limited company which you may find useful, particularly under "register as an overseas company" which advises that you do not need to register if you do not have a base in the UK.
A company registered for corporation tax is required to submit company tax returns, statutory accounts and computations anually.  
There may also be requirements to register for other taxes such as VAT.  
It is not really possible to list all necessary requirements in a hypothetical situation and I would recommend taking independent financial advice regarding your obligations.
You will need to establish, for example, whether you will have economic activity in the UK.  
There is a difference between a non-resident company that is trading from abroad with customers in the UK, and one that is actually trading in the UK.   
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:57:25 GMT by
Thanks, I was wondering that as well. - Jamie
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 03:57:46 GMT by
Hello As a Non-UK resident, xan I deal with local customs in the UK while visiting the UK , using my overseas company ?
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:02:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Hamada81,
I am unsure what you query is, could you explain further please?
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2024 08:28:27 GMT by fahad latif
Running the Limited company in UK as a non-resident
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2024 08:30:25 GMT by fahad latif
ok
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 17:01:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Fahad,
Please could you elaborate re what tour actual question is.
Thank you.

Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 17:49:19 GMT by Mody
hello i also have the same question , first of all thanks for help , you stated above that "There is a difference between a non-resident company that is trading from abroad with customers in the UK, and one that is actually trading in the UK." so if im non-resident in UK can i handle and manage a company and do commercial activity like selling products inside UK import goods etc. ? if yes please explain to us what type of company should be opened in this case . thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.