Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2024 08:44:08 GMT by nelk24
I purchased a bond below par (i.e. below the redeem value at maturity). When the bond is matured, redeemed or called at a higher price than my purchase price. Does this count as capital gain(or loss if I paid above par) or if is it taxable at all? And when bond was restructured and/or got tender offered, there is sometime a consent fee/incentive offered. Is this consent fee taxable? If so, should it be income or capital gains?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 14:23:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If this is a bond from America, then US government bonds, sometimes known as T-bills or treasury bills are generally taxed as income rather than capital gains. The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments. In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity.  

On a foreign investment, the income is the difference between the purchase and redemption price after each has been converted to sterling on the day the transactions took place, so includes any foreign exchange gains. Any losses cannot be deducted. You can see guidance here:

SAIM3010 - Deeply discounted securities: introduction

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 11:31:00 GMT by nelk24
Hello, The bond concerned are foreign corporate bonds. And they are not issued below par, they just traded lower than the issued price, so I don't think they count as deeply discounted securities. If in such case, the difference between purchase and redemption price will be taxed as capital gains, right? And for the consent fee/incentive offered when there is restructuring of the bond terms, are these taxable? If so, should it be capital gains or income?
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 06:18:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi nelk24,
Government bonds (gilts) are exempt from Capital Gains Tax.
They are taxed as Income Tax.
For the foreign bonds, please refer to:
IFM13356 - Offshore Funds: participants in offshore funds: participants within the charge to income tax: income and distributions from non-reporting funds: non-transparent funds
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 09:26:56 GMT by nelk24
Hi Team, I invested in foreign corporate bond directly, not via some ETF, unit trust or offshore fund. Could you address my questions directly? 1) if I purchased the bond below its issued price (not issued below par i.e. this is not a deeply discounted securities), and it is redeemed/called at a higher than purchase price. This should count as capital gain, right? (and as a capital loss if purchased above the issued price) 2) If there is any consent fee/incentive fee for a restructuring of the bond terms, are these taxable under UK taxation system?
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 15:38:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi  nelk24

Please refer to guidance at HS265 Offshore funds

Thanks
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 13:58:49 GMT by nelk24
Hi Team, I invested in the bond directly NOT through offshore funds. I just want to know if there is consent fee/incentive fee for a foreign corporate bond restructuring, is that taxable under UK taxation system And if the bond was sold or matured to a higher price than the purchase price, it will be treated as capital gain, right? Please stop refer me to the guidance at HS265 Offshore funds as I restate that I invested into the corporate bonds not the offshore funds
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 14:08:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
This forum is for general queries only and is intended to help you self-serve. We are unable to provide specific advice tailored to individual circumstances.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.