Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:19:16 GMT by
Hello I have an investing account with Interactive Brokers and on the tax report I get from them they add up all the trades i made during the year altogether. So I only know the total result they are not separated by gains and losses and I cant seem to find a number for how many trades were made in the year (all the trades are there but theres no counter). So is it a problem if I put just the total result without separating in gains and losses and omit the number of trades made
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:14:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If a detailed breakdown of your annual gains and losses is not provided by your broker, a declaration of total gains and losses would be acceptable. Please however attach a copy of the gains and losses summary provided by your Interactive Broker when you submit your Self Assesment return.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:21:26 GMT by
Hello 1.) A detailed breakdown of all the trades is included, my problem is its all summed up together in one final total calculation. It is not separated by gains and losses its the sum of all trades combined. So what i'd like to know is can i declare more gains and keep r more losses for next year (since the allowance would be reducing in 23/34 tax year). My total losses are 13k and my gains are 7k , can i increase my gains to 12k to use more of the tax free allowance and keep more losses to be used for next year. 2.) When I file my self assesment its asking for the number of trades made during the year (which is a problem for me cause on my report there is no Counter ) do I have to manually count how many trades were made during the year or is it ok if I rough estimates how many trades i have done Thank you
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 12:41:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Tsanko,

Losses in the year and losses brough forward, are applied to the gain before annual exemplt allowance is applied.
Any remaining losses can then be carried forward.  
Have a look at the examples at CG21520 - Individuals: losses: Relief for losses: examples 1 to 5.  
It would be acceptable to enter an estimated figure, in the absence of an actual number.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.