Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:49:30 GMT by Chrissy Gooders
Hi there, I would be most grateful for some advice. My brother and I were left 50% each our parents house after our father’s passing in December 2018. I then bought my brothers 50% for value set by probate. My wife and I currently live in the Netherlands but visit the UK regularly and stay at the house. We have been approached by developers who want to purchase part of the garden ( in all just over 1 acre plot) to build 2/3 hours subject to planning permission. As the house is our only and Primary Residence in the UK I wanted to know if we would be entitled to clam PRR on the sale of the land and future sale of the house in years to come or are we liable for CGT. Many thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 15:05:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chrissy Gooders,
Your main residence would appear to be in the Netherlands, as this is where the dwelling in which you habitually live in is located: in other words, your home.
With that being the case, Private Resident Relief would not be available.
Please have a look at CG64427:
CG64427 - Private residence relief: only or main residence: meaning of residence
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 16:14:12 GMT by Chrissy Gooders
Good afternoon, Many thanks for your reply. My wife and I are planning to move back to the UK to the house mentioned above in August. In August we will advise our local council in the Netherlands of our decision to move back to the UK and advise the council in the UK if our intentions. We are likely to let out our house in the Netherlands for shorts let’s. Our youngest son starts 6th form in the UK in September 2024 and our eldest starts at The University of Bath also in September 2024 so it makes sense. We do not own any other property in the UK but am unclear if we are required to inform anyone at HMRC that we have moved back and now reside in the UK. Many thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 08:10:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Yes you will need to advise HMRC that you have returned as your records will need to be updated and new tax codes issued where applicable.
You can do this by telephoning 0300 200 3300.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.