Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 22:12:49 GMT by rod macd
So , I made a few losses (more than my gains!) on crypto during 22/23. I want to carry these CGT losses through to 23/24 or maybe 24/25. There are 11 tokens in total to process - I have all the figures in an itemised spreadsheet for each token with all buys/sells. I know I can/should/will upload this later in the process. 1 token made a gain, the other 10 gave losses. I have the overall summarised totals available to enter. I am trying to enter these as follows (my responses are in [] and I have altered the figures for simplicity. Please see my questions after the "**" SECTION : Other property, assets and gains "Number of disposals: (optional)" [11] "Disposal proceeds: (optional)" [120] --** this is the total sales value of all tokens YES/NO ?? "Allowable costs (including purchase price): (optional)" [300] --** this is the total costs to buy all those tokens which were sold ?? "Gains in the year, before losses - do not include attributed gains where personal losses cannot be set off: (optional) " [10] -- ** - just the gain from the from the 1 profitable token ?? "Attributed gains where personal losses cannot be set off: (optional)" [BLANK] "Losses in the year: (optional)" [190] --from the other 10 tokens . Presumably no negative is required here as it is already stated as being a Loss ? When I do this and go onto the next page "Losses and Adjustments" , it says I have a Capital Gain =10 ? - it appears to be ignoring the "Losses" entry?... Surely the Loss should be 180 ("total gains- total losses" or "total sales-total costs") which is registered/noted here ? Where (which box number?) is the registered CGT loss displayed on the final return ?
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:47:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

As you made a gain on one disposal, it is still a taxable gain. The losses to set against it are then reflected further on so that there is no gain and the balance of unused losses will be carried forward to be used at a later date.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 21:55:22 GMT by rod macd
Thank-you. I was hoping /assuming this would be the case!
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 11:20:53 GMT by lekushouse
That is very problematic question I have not found the answer yet on the internet or any accountant was able to answer. The answer above does not address the issue I am afraid and is very general. Could you please point exactly what boxes should be filled in. I am sure HMRC is familiar with Koinly and their reports. All details and questions below. Example: (numbers from koinly hmrc report) Proceeds from sale £101k (box 15 in SA108), Acquisition costs £89k (box 16), Gains in the year, before losses £14k (box 17), Losses in the year £2k (box 19). There is one more figure from koinly report called Net gains which is £12k, but it seems you do not put that in sa108. it is clearly the difference between proceeds and costs (also between gains and losses). But on the next page in sa108, losses are ignored, only gains stay (£14k in this case, however net gains are £12k and they should be used for cgt). Where do I make a mistake? And please do not mix it with boxes 45-47, these are for losses from past and future years. I am sure there are many people investing in cryptoassets wanting to file Self Assessment properly, but how can it be done when there are no concrete answers from HMRC except 'please follow the guidance'. Kind Regards
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 10:15:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Please see the following guidance:
Capital Gains Tax summary notes.
Should this not answer your query, you will need to contact us direct on 0300 200 3310.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.