Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2024 16:16:36 GMT by YMC
Hello, if I have hundreds of transactions (either buy or sell) of the same shares within the same tax year, and at the end of the tax year, I just sell all of them, i.e. no more that share on hand. And I am not going to trade the same share within 30days in the next tax year. So, the same day rule, bed and breakfast rule, and section 104 rule doesn't really matter because the capital gain is just the different between the Net Asset Value (NAV) at the begin of tax year and the end of tax year. As there are hundreds of transactions, if I need to upload the computation one by one, there will be hundreds of computations, I afraid the online tax return server will not allow me to do so; Can I just put all the transactions into a single excel to shows each transaction's buy or sell date, quantity, and total value, and the same as pdf for tax return purpose? I understand that multiple transactions of same asset of the same day will be counted as 1 disposal only, I will try to count the no. of disposals correctly and report in the tax return, does it work? looking forward your comment ,Thank you!
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 16:41:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi YMC,
Yes, you can attach a spreadsheet to show your figures. this will need to be attached as a pdf document.
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 07 Apr 2024 19:14:40 GMT by YMC
hello, would you pls comment if it is correct to think in this way (the same day rule, bed and breakfast rule, and section 104 rule doesn't really matter because the capital gain is just the different between the Net Asset Value (NAV) at the begin of tax year and the end of tax year.)? If this is correct, it is not necessary to work out the capital gain based on the rules (same day rule, B&B, and section 104), right?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:08:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi YMC,
No, a capital gain is based on the difference in the value of the asset at date of purchase and date of sale no matter what tax year.
The S104 rule is for multiple purchases in the same company:
Shares and Capital Gains Tax (Self Assessment helpsheet HS284)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.