Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 22:23:39 GMT by J G
Hi, I 'm a French national living in the UK and I'm resident here for tax purposes. In the 2020-2021 tax year, I had to sell the shares that I had at my bank in France in order to gain some liquidity as Covid was happening. In total I received the equivalent of £9,000 following the disposal of the shares...an amount that was, at the time, below the annual exempt amount (of £12,300, if I'm not wrong : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-rates-and-allowances) for the capital gains tax. The problem being that I didn't declare it to HMRC (to be honest, I asked this forum at the time and I'm pretty sure I was told that, because I was below the thresold, I didn't need to do anything...) whereas I apparently should have. That's what I was told more recently. And now I'm a bit scared. Would I owe money to HMRC and how much (I need to be prepared) ? Would I have to pay tax on the £9,000 (even if they were below the annual exempt ?) and of how much ? Would I have to pay a penalty for not declaring the amount (even, again, it was below the thresold?) and of how much ? sorry, I'd just need to have an idea of what I would owe HMRC potentially, many thanks
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 07:17:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi J G,
If the actual disposal value was more than £49200 then a tax return would still be required even when the actual gain was below the threshold.
If not, then you do not need to do anything.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.