Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 10:40:35 GMT by TabUk
Good evening! Me and my brother inhertired a property in 2017 from our mother. I lived in that property about 12 years ago and at that time it was my main homeplace. We have sold it just recently and my share is 50%. I am not sure what tax do I pay? Is it a CGT? If yes, I am currently moving my money from my own bank acc abroad, however the country I am moving the funds from has SWIFT transactions limitations per month, so I am not able to move the whole sum in one month - do I have to pay tax instantly right now (I have first part of funds in UK already) or I can wait until the whole sum is here and pay then? Also I am not sure but, in 2019 I had spent quite a significant amount of money to renovate the place - can this qualify as a tax relief? I have a stamped paper from an estate agency which were selling the property, which confirming the market price of the property in 2017 (the year we have inherited it), also confirming the renovation price and the price after renovation. Thanks in advance!
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 10:02:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TabUk,
Yes, you will be liable for Capital Gains Tax on your share of the profit.
You can deduct the improvements costs for renovations.
No Private Residence Relief will be allowable as you have not lived in it from when you owned it as you state you lived there 12 years ago.
Please see further guidance here:
Tax when you sell property
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 17:46:24 GMT by TabUk
Thanks! We sold the property on the 25th of April this year, which is past the financial year. I have already filed my Self-Assessment for 23/24. Yesterday I have reported my CGT from this deal via CGT real time report. Question: Do I need to amend my Self Assessment for 23/24 and report it there as well and/or do I need to mention this CGT in 24/25 future Self Assessment or I don’t need to do anything after reporting it via CGT real time transaction? Thanks in advance!
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 09:41:13 GMT by TabUk
Sorry, I am not sure what do I do now in regard to my question above? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 11:52:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi TabUk,
If the completion date of the disposal ocurred after 5 April 2024, then the capital gain falls into the 2024 to 2025 tax year.  If you are required to complete a tax return for 2024 to 2025, then you would include the capital gain on that tax return, where the disposal value exceeds £50000.  If the completion date was before 5 April 2024, then yes, you would need to amend your tax return, if the disposal value was over £50000.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 10:24:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TabUk.
Please have a look a the Capital Gains Tax sections of the government website here:
Capital Gains Tax
There is a capital gains calculator to help you work out your gain.
The help sheet HS283 will advise you how to work out if you are entitled to private residence relief. 
HS283 Private Residence Relief (2024).
At the end of the capital gains calculator, is a link for you to register for a capital gains acccount, so that you can report and pay the Capital Gains Tax.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.