Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 16:15:31 GMT by mrflibble
Hi, In my ISA I have shares in an LSEG-listed company which is going into receivership. My ISA company (HL) instructs that my holding must be ejected from the ISA into a taxable trading account. I expect a loss of >90%. My question is, can I assert this loss in my self assessment tax return for taxable Capital Gains? My understanding is that that losses wholely within an ISA are not relevant for CGT purposes. To be clear: the purchase was inside an ISA. Any sale, liquidation or return of money will be outside the ISA. Thanks, mrflibble 
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:44:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mrflibble,
Shares in an ISA are not subject to capital gains tax or capital gains losses.
If your shares are in the ISA at the time the company goes into receivership, you cannot claim for any losses on the shares.
Your ISA provider is advising that you remove the shares from the ISA, so that they are subject to capital gains and you can claim for capital gains losses.
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:33:43 GMT by mrflibble
Hi Admin25, Thank you for your help. As I will be base my DIY tax return on your help, can I check that I have the correct understanding of these aspects - 1. Gains or losses *within* an ISA do not affect my Capital Gain Tax status in any way. 2. If an asset is purchased in an ISA and transferred intact to a taxable trading account, losses (or gains) from the taxable sale *do* affect my CGT status in the tax year of the sale. 3. When the asset has gone into receivership, the exact timings of that compared to the transfer out of ISA are important. Since I have no control of the asset in my original question, I will have to ask again when I have all the info. Thanks again, m
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:50:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi mrflibble

1. Gains/losses from an ISA are not taxable or allowable as losses to set against other gains.  
2. yes as the protection of an ISA no longer applies  
3. noted

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.