Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 06:45:49 GMT by johndoe123
I received shares (RSUs) from my employer in the UK. I have since quit my job and moved abroad. If I decide to sell the shares, do I still need to pay CGT in the UK?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2024 14:21:38 GMT by johndoe123
More concretely: - My last RSU vested in 2023. - I moved abroad in 2024. I do not plan to return. I am no longer tax resident in the UK, but in my new country. - I sold the shares in June 2024. The total amount of gains is over the 3000 GBP allowance.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 13:24:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi 

HMRC cannot comment on future events as legislation and/or plans may change.
Based on current guidance, as you are not resident in the UK at time of sale, no UK capital gains tax will be due.

Thank you

Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 09:22:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi johndoe123,
You will need to check whether there is a tax treaty between the UK and the country you are now resident in:
Tax treaties.
There is likely to be an article relating to capital gains.
You may find that the disposal of the shares will result in a gain arising in the country you are resident in and not the UK.
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 16:28:39 GMT by johndoe123
Thank you both for your answer. I had a look at the tax treaty with Belgium and I found one article relating to capital gains: Article 13. "Gains from the alienation of any property other than that referred to in paragraphs (1), (2) and (3) of this Article shall be taxable only in the Contracting State of which the alienator Is a resident." Given that (1), (2) and (3) do not relate to shares, the tax should be due in Belgium. Would you be able to confirm this?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 11:00:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you are resident in Belgium, yes.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.