Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 07:08:14 GMT by Ted3056
Hi There, I am currently non-resident in the UK (17 years), but will be returning to the UK soon and become a permanent (UK taxable) resident. I own shares held within a (non UK) superannuation fund. When I return to the UK can I continue to hold the shares in the fund but (for UK tax purposes) reset the cost base to the date of my entry into the UK and also declare dividends paid after my arrival as foreign income on my UK tax return? Example - ABC:SHARES purchased @$1.00 (01/06/15) - price on return to uk (01/06/24) $2.00 (reset cost base to $2.00 / 1.04 GBP) sold on 01/06/28 @$3.00/ 1.56 GBP = 52p per share capital gain? Dividends declared to HMRC as foreign dividends (with any double taxation treaty credits applied) as of 01/06/24 to disposal on 01/06/28. Assuming overseas tax liabilities met and allowing for variables (fx rate etc), is this a correct understanding of the UK tax treatment for CGT & income purposes?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 14:45:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can retain the shares and declare the foreign dividends in a Self Assessment tax return. We are not sure where your revaluation of the shares arises.  

You would use the acquisition costs converted to pounds sterling, using a just and reasonable exchange rate at the time of acquisition. The capital gain would be the disposal value, in pounds sterling, less aquistion and disposal costs.  

Without knowing the country in question, we cannot comment on tax treaties and double taxation relief.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.