Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:58:18 GMT by
Hi I have some SAYE Emplyee shares that have matured over several years.. It states these need to be transferred with in 90 days to avoid paying Cgt.. If these are transferred after 90 days, what are the implications. Do you have to pay CGT when transferring to a ISA Thanks
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:26:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Yes as you will need to see what the value is at date of transfer against the value at the date they matures.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:52:56 GMT by
There is a page on hmrc website to work it out the cgt.. Atm i've not sold the shares as theyre in my hl fund account.. Do i still pay the CGT even though ive not sold them ir transferred them..
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 11:05:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi fridi77,
No.  
No gain or loss will arise until the shares are disposed of, so no tax is payable until that happens.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 13:48:52 GMT by
Thanks for confirming.. So i would only pay CG tax on these shares if i either I sold them or put then in a isa.. I have another question reagarding SIP, where im purchasing company company shares and after 5 years i f i was to sell the shares i would benefit from tax relief.. Do i have yo pay any Cgt on these shares Thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 13:30:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The guidance on tax and employee share schemes, advises if you keep them in the plan for five years, you will not pay Income Tax or National Insurance on their value.  

You will not pay Capital Gains Tax on shares you sell if you keep them in the plan, until you sell them. You can see guidance here:

Tax and Employee Share Schemes

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 12:57:12 GMT by lance cassemis
If I transferred my SAYE Employee shares to an ISA I would not have to pay capital gains. If I then extract the money from the ISA, would I have to pay any TAX or fees? Or would I have to pay any other types of tax when moving to an ISA e.g stamp duty?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 15:16:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi lance,
If you are moving it to another ISA then no.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.