Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 22:12:34 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi HMRC, I have non-UK stock shares which are now in "untrade" status (= NO market price), which is shown in my foreign bank statement. This stock company has been withdrawn listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange Limited since last April. In this case, I wonder if I am eligible to apply for NVC for these worthless value of foreign shares and then claim it as a kind of capital loss to be used to offset against future capital gain. If so, I need to complete SA108 supplementary page together with my Self Assessment Tax Return for submission, am I right? If eligible to claim, am I also required to provide the calculation (computation) working sheet to show the acquisitions of these shares and the date of these shares becoming neglibile value for HMRC's consideration. I see there is a sample sheet of "Computation working sheet (for straightforward calculations)" found in Page CGN 12 of "Capital Gains Tax Summary Notes". For my case, can I copy it as the sheet format for submission together with my tax return? I am looking forward to receiving your expert advice. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 08:01:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi KuenHK,
You make a NVC in your self assessment supplementary page SA108 and claim losses as a result.  You also need to provide supporting evidence of the NVC along with your tax return. You would only need to complete SA106 if you had overseas income or gains and had tax deducted.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 23:17:37 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi HMRC, Thank you for your reply. Based on your advice above, I have the following queries to further ask. 1) What supporting evidence of the NVC you refer to? Is it a bank statement to show these foreign shares are on "untrade status" ? 2) Do I need to provide the "Computation working sheet"? If yes, is it the one for straightforward calculations found in Page CGN 12 of "Capital Gains Tax Summary Notes" to calculate the NV amount and to claim it as captial loss? Or, should I use the example of Section 104 Holding to calculate the NV amount as these "untrade" shares (in the same class, in the same company) I bought are after 06 April 2008? For your further advice/comment, please. Secondly, I am unemployed and only have some foreign bank interests and dividends from overseas stock shares to support daily living expenditures. Am I also required to complete SA106 to declare these foreign incomes together with my tax return? I am looking forward to receiving your further advice. Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.