Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:47:33 GMT by DEB164
I am aware there is a general exemption for gifts made between spouses, in that the disposal of the gift will be considered no gain/no loss by the 'gifting spouse' and the 'receiving spouse' will receive the gift at the purchase value of the gifting spouse. Generally this is considered a good form of estate planning, however I was wondering whether any anti-avoidance provisions apply to this. For instance, a case where a husband is looking to transfer shares to his wife in order to reduce some of the capital gains tax by taking advantage of the wife's CGT allowance, would the wife be able to gift the proceeds back to the husband upon sale, without breaching any avoidance provisions? D19 of the GAAR Guidance September 2020 Part D - Examples, gives the case of a husband transferring some of his shares with a large gain to his terminally ill wife who gifts these back to the husband upon her imminent death. The husband would then receive them at the date of death uplift meaning potentially no CGT is payable. The Guidance here indicates this isn't anti-avoidance and considers it to be good tax planning as the transaction is a normal arrangement between spouses and isn't intending to exploit any shortcomings in the relevant tax provisions. Would his apply to the above scenario for a couple generally taking advantage of the both of their CGT allowances? I can't find any specific anti-avoidance provision relating to this, and generally seems to be reasonable tax planning. Many thanks,
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 13:23:27 GMT by DEB164
Apologies regarding D19 I meant to say the shares are gifted back to the husband under the wife's Will which was already in place. In this example would it make a difference if the Will gifting these was made after the shares were gifted?
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 14:17:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi  DEB164

The no loss no gain only applies at the point of transfer and it is only when the item is then sold that the CGT arises.
This is not seen as anti avoidance as CGT would then be paid by the seller(s). what is then done with the proceeds from the sale is up to the individual.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 14:40:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi DEB164,
No, as you can transfer the shares at any time.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.