Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 06:56:07 GMT by YY WONG
HMRC has currency exchange rates for (i) monthly rate (ii) average yearly rate published on 31 Mar (iii) average yearly rate published on 31 Dec I bought and sold several overseas securities for several times in a tax year, and need to file Capital Gain Please advise which of the below, 1 or 2, is correct? 1. I can choose only one of the (i), (ii) or (iii) above to calculate the purchase prices and disposal prices for a tax year, OR 2. I can mix and use any of the (i), (ii) or (iii) above for each individual purchase price and disposal price in the same tax year. (i.e. use (i) for calculating the purchase price of one security, and (ii) for calculating the selling price of the same security, when reporting CG in the same tax year.) Also, is there any guidelines for using the (i) and (ii) and (iii) above for calculating and reporting CG ? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2024 18:59:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Under the terms of Self Assessment, we do not provide an official exchange rate and the onus is on the individual to use a just and reasonable exchange rate for each acquisition and disposal. For your convenience, there are exchange rates at:-
Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format
and for older rates at
Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format.
You are free to use any of the supplied rates or one of your own choosing. 
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 10:54:43 GMT by YY WONG
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.