Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:26:39 GMT by Sue Warner
Can you please advise the CGT implications for a civily partnered (CP) couple who are living apart (as is quite common, these days) and each have their own property, the purchases of which precede the CP by many years. In particular, under what circumstances would CGT on a property be due, and would this be calculated from the date of original purchase of the property (well before the couple met), or from a date relating to the time of civil partnership, or nomination of a primary residence . Is it even necessary to nominate a primary residence if both parties remain in their own houses. Examples would be: a) where either party moves area or downsizes independently of the other, or b) partners decide to live together, at a later date 1) necessitaing the sale of one property or 2) prompting the sale of both properties This a complicated area, for which I can find no clear information on the internet so your help is much appreciated. Any additional information which might be useful will also be very welcome. Thanks for your help
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:20:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

Where a couple marries or enter into a civil partnership and each partner owned a residence which the couple continue to use after the date of their marriage of civil partnership, they must nominate which residence is their joint main residence as married couples and civil partners can only have one main residence between them.
The nomination must be made within two years of the date of their marriage or civil partnership.
See also guidance at HS283 Private Residence Relief (2023)
For definitive answers you will need to contact us direct either by phone or in writing.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:04:11 GMT by Sue Warner
I am aware of the need to specify one house as the primary residence. My question, to which I can find no answer in the linked document, is as follows: When CGT is calculated upon the sale (for any reason) of whichever of our two homes is not registered as the primary residence, from what point is CGT on the sale calculated. ie. Is this calculated from the original date the property was purchased (which will precede Civil partnership, or evn our meeting, by very many years) OR is it calculated from the time of the civil partnership, until the property is sold. In short, is there an exemption for the period in which the so called "non primary residence" was actually the sole home of one the partners, prior to the CP arrangement. Example: we each purchase a property worth c. 50K in 1985. At the time of our Civil Partnership, (eg 2025) each property is valued at 400K. We continue to live apart, by choice, each in our own property, but in 2027, nominate one as our primary residence. We sell one property in 2035, when the value is 450K. Is CGT calculated based on the gain in value between 1985 and 2035 (ie 400K) OR the gain between 2025 (our CP date) and 2035 (ie 50K)? (or perhaps the nominated date is the baseline). There is no clear example which I can see equates to this scenario, and it might be useful to include one. Thanks for your help
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:28:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

It is calculated from the date acquired. you can then claim private residence relief for the period that it was your only and main residence in order to reduce any charge due.

Private Residence Relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS283)

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:14:35 GMT by Sue Warner
Thankyou. Your reply is very useful. Can you tell me if the relief period would continue past the date of any civil partnership, if we continue to live apart and hence the property which isnt designated as the main residence still continues to be the de facto main residence of one partner please.Thanks again for your help.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:54:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

This would need to be looked at based on fact and you would need to write in with details.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.