Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 14:28:08 GMT by Lancashire_Lad
My wife and I separated in 2019 when I moved out of the Family Home which is jointly owned. I have been renting since. The consent order which has only been approved in June 2024 will require the transfer of equity of the Family Home into the ex-wife's sole name. For the whole property, not taking into account joint ownership, there will be a significant loss after taking into account that the current valuations are below purchase price, and that there were associated purchase costs including stamp duty and additional investment into the property. The ex-wife will continue to live at this property. Given that more than three years have lapsed between separation and decree absolute, am I correct in thinking that I can record a capital loss in my self-assessment? And that such loss is equivalent to my 50% share in the difference of purchase price and current valuations (also reduced by associated purchase costs and additional investments)?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 13:57:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Transfers of assets between you or your spouse or civil partner in accordance with a formal divorce or separation agreement or court order will be at no gain or loss without any time limit.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.