Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:09:55 GMT by DL
I am the executor for my late father-in-law's estate who died in late 2022. We sold the house in July 2023 and the value had increased from that when he died so some CGT was due. I completed the "Capital Gains Tax on UK Property" form and calculated the tax due. HMRC accepted the calculations and I paid the CGT in September 2023. Nothing else has changed since then; there is no income for the tax year 2023/4. The letter confirming receipt of the "Capital Gains Tax on UK Property" form said that I will need to give details of this CGT disposal in the Self Assessment tax return for 2023/4 tax year and include the amount of CGT that has been paid. I have registered for self-assessment and can see how to do this on the SA100. However I have also seen mention of SA900 Trust & Estate Tax Return and the suggestion that I might need to complete this - the value of the house sold exceeds the £500,000 limit which seems to rule out it being treated as a "simple estate". Will providing the details on the SA100 be sufficient or will I have to register and submit a SA900?
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 13:47:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi DL,
As you have sold the property as part of the estate, it needs to be reported as the estate income.
Tt is not personal income so the SA100 is not appropriate as this is a personal tax return
Dealing with the estate of someone who's died
If you only registered for Self Assessment to report this estate sale then you should request it be cancelled.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.