Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:19:48 GMT by Alan Redford
Hi, I submitted a 'Capital Gains Real Time return' on 28th Oct 2023 which will be due for payment by 31 Jan 2024. As yet I have not received a Payment reference. Will this come soon or will I have to remind / apply for one ? If so can I do it online ? , full details available but not sure about giving any more details on an open Forum ? Thank you.

[Reference number deleted by Admin]
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:55:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

When you submitted it online, you will have received the reference straight away. You will need to contact our Self Assessment team so we can access your record and give you the details.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:09:43 GMT by Alan Redford
Thank you for this response, However when I clicked the hyperlink above it said that SA enquiries would only deal with SA enquiries and nothing else until 1st Feb 2024 ( too late for payment) so I tried various frustrating attempts to find a link to 'Capital Gains payment' no joy, So I then scoured the HMRC helplines looking for Capital Gains help. The 3rd 'possible option ' tried, did deal with 'Capital Gains tax' but only on property ? for shares I needed 0300 200 3310 which turned out to be 'Self Assessment Help ' and after wading thro all the unsuitable menu options I chose option 7 assuming this to be a person, I was told by a digital voice that " sorry we can't help until Feb 1st 2024 ( too late ). cut off. So is it possible please, to get an e mail address, direct line phone No. or, as last resort postal address for the Capital Gains on (shares ) payment Ref dept. or anybody else that could help. Getting desperate now. Thank you
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:02:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You will need to contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment tax returns

Click on the digital assistant option and when on, ask to speak to an adviser.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:40:09 GMT by Alan Redford
Thank you for that, a helpful positive answer. Can I ask one more question on a totally different topic . I am wanting to surrender a Life Assurance policy that has a Trust attached. I have read the 'HMRC Trust Registration Advice Manual ' which clearly states that I don't need to register this Trust ( assuming that no monies are left in the Trust ) . The first page of the Trust registration form clearly says that Life Assurance policies are exempt from registration and your helpline operative said that if I genuinely believe from this information that I don't need to register the Trust, then I don't. The Assurance Company however are asking for ' Confirmation of Exemption ' Is this a HMRC doc. and if so how could I get one ?? Thank you again . I don't often get involved with HMRC but everything comes at once !! Best regards A. Redford
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:32:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alan Redford,
HMRC would not be able to provide a confirmation of exemption.
The policy provider is in the best position to confirm if the life assurance policy is a qualifying policy and is exempt.
Please have a look at helpsheet HS320 for more information:
Gains on UK life insurance policies (Self Assessment helpsheet HS320)
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:09:42 GMT by Alan Redford
Hi, back to the payment Ref No. problem I have now got the No. I have gone on to the 'Real time' payment section, put ALL the details in for payment and it now will not accept Mastercard payment. I have tried 2 Mastercards but as soon as I enter 5 it turns red and says the card is unsuitable !? I could pay by bank transfer but that option does not seem to be available ! getting a bit urgent now. not helped by the 'Helpline ' being closed to CG enquiries at payment time whichever approach route is taken ' digital assistant' doesn't work 'S.A' route doesn't work and apparently nowhere else to go. HELP thanks again
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:01:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You will need to contact our online services team for advice.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:02:15 GMT by
Re payment reference . I too submitted a gain and got a message saying not to pay until receive an email with payment reference . I’m still waiting for answers on how to submit one for a parent with Alzheimer’s. Can get absolutely nowhere with any information.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.