Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CAPITAL GAINS Payment reference

Hi, back to the payment Ref No. problem I have now got the No. I have gone on to the 'Real time' payment section, put ALL the details in for payment and it now will not accept Mastercard payment. I have tried 2 Mastercards but as soon as I enter 5 it turns red and says the card is unsuitable !? I could pay by bank transfer but that option does not seem to be available ! getting a bit urgent now. not helped by the 'Helpline ' being closed to CG enquiries at payment time whichever approach route is taken ' digital assistant' doesn't work 'S.A' route doesn't work and apparently nowhere else to go. HELP thanks again

Thank you for that, a helpful positive answer. Can I ask one more question on a totally different topic . I am wanting to surrender a Life Assurance policy that has a Trust attached. I have read the 'HMRC Trust Registration Advice Manual ' which clearly states that I don't need to register this Trust ( assuming that no monies are left in the Trust ) . The first page of the Trust registration form clearly says that Life Assurance policies are exempt from registration and your helpline operative said that if I genuinely believe from this information that I don't need to register the Trust, then I don't. The Assurance Company however are asking for ' Confirmation of Exemption ' Is this a HMRC doc. and if so how could I get one ?? Thank you again . I don't often get involved with HMRC but everything comes at once !! Best regards A. Redford

Thank you for this response, However when I clicked the hyperlink above it said that SA enquiries would only deal with SA enquiries and nothing else until 1st Feb 2024 ( too late for payment) so I tried various frustrating attempts to find a link to 'Capital Gains payment' no joy, So I then scoured the HMRC helplines looking for Capital Gains help. The 3rd 'possible option ' tried, did deal with 'Capital Gains tax' but only on property ? for shares I needed 0300 200 3310 which turned out to be 'Self Assessment Help ' and after wading thro all the unsuitable menu options I chose option 7 assuming this to be a person, I was told by a digital voice that " sorry we can't help until Feb 1st 2024 ( too late ). cut off. So is it possible please, to get an e mail address, direct line phone No. or, as last resort postal address for the Capital Gains on (shares ) payment Ref dept. or anybody else that could help. Getting desperate now. Thank you
  • CAPITAL GAINS Payment reference

Hi, I submitted a 'Capital Gains Real Time return' on 28th Oct 2023 which will be due for payment by 31 Jan 2024. As yet I have not received a Payment reference. Will this come soon or will I have to remind / apply for one ? If so can I do it online ? , full details available but not sure about giving any more details on an open Forum ? Thank you.

[Reference number deleted by Admin]
  • RE: Taxation on Life Insurance Surrender

I have a modest Life Assurance policy ( £5k) that I plan to surrender , this was set up as a partnership insurance 48 years ago so there is a trust attached. having read the HMRC advice e.g. 'Trust Registration Service Manual' etc it would seem that as the policy is a basic low cost policy, and there will be no funds left in the trust, based on Sch 3A ( 4) , that this trust does not need to be registered. ? My main question is whether the surrender value would be taxable and require completion of a Self Assessment form ? Thank you in advance.