Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2024 18:52:01 GMT by seattlemadness
Hi I am a UK National and UK tax resident. I worked in the US from 2004-2009 and have a 401k. I am 62 and now considering taking it all out as a lump sum. I think it has approx £400k there. How is it classified for tax in the UK. I do completed a W8 in US. Thanks on any insight.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2024 13:35:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi seattlemadness,
A 401(k) plan is a company-sponsored retirement account to which employees can contribute income, while employers may match contributions.  
There are two basic types of 401(k)s—traditional and Roth—which differ primarily in how they're taxed.  
With a traditional 401(k), employee contributions are pre-tax, meaning they reduce taxable income, but withdrawals are taxed.  
Employee contributions to Roth 401(k)s are made with after-tax income: There is no tax deduction in the contribution year, but withdrawals are tax-free.
If you have a Roth 401K, then the lump sum will not be taxable either in the USA or in the UK.  
If you have the tradition 401K, then the lumpsum is taxable in the USA.  Article 17(2) states the lumpsum is taxable only in the USA, however, article 1(4) over-rides
this and allows the UK to tax the lumpsum as well.
In these situations, double taxation will occur since both the UK and the USA can tax the same income.
However, that double taxation will be eliminated in accordance with Article 24(4)(a) of the DTA which requires the UK (as the country of residence) to provide FTCR
to offset the US tax correctly paid against the UK tax charged on the same the IRA withdrawal.  
In short, you pay tax on the lumpsum in the USA and declare the lumpsum in a UK tax return and also claim a foreign tax credit of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.  
(Uk/USA Double Taxation Agreement - 2002).
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 02 Jul 2024 14:36:00 GMT by PRW
Does HMRC consider taking a lump sum from a 401(k) plan having the same consequences as accessing a UK pension, specifically in relation to triggering limits on future contributions to the UK pension scheme?
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 11:18:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi PRW,
Yes it does.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.